OverviewWe started the Heart to Heart project in August 2015, but in 2017 is when we fully opened up the organization and started to distribute the pillows to the hospitals. The project started in the United States by Janet Kramer Mai, a breast cancer specialist at the Erlanger Breast Resource Centre in Chattanooga, Tennessee was diagnosed with breast cancer. Inspired by Janet, the project was taken to Denmark by nurse Nancy Fries-Jensen, from Frederiksberg Hospital, where it then spread across some parts of Europe.
Today the heart pillow is being used by thousands of breast cancer patients, it is designed to:
- facilitate arm rest after the surgical process,
- the pillow relieves pain of the surgical incision,
- reduces lymphatic swelling that is caused by the surgery,
- reduces tension in the shoulders,
- and it is used under a cars seat belt to protect the patient from possible bumps on the road.
We became aware of this beautifully amazing project through “Quilteiras do Cerrado” and for four years I have held meetings with my dear friends to make some of these pillows, with care and dedication. Life for Lives, along with volunteers has distributed around 1500 pillows. We want to continue this project not only in Toronto, but across the country to help ease the pain, and support the patients who have been affected by breast cancer.